Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Garrett Nicholas... The boy who made me a mother...

My first born.

What a rude shock into the world of parenting ;)!

Garrett was born on Sunday 4th June, 2006 at 6.05am. Arriving by emergency c-section weighing in at 4110g (or 9lb 1oz for you old timers!).

They held him up over the curtain and my first words (and thoughts, they didn't get caught by the intelligence filter in my brain) were "Holy CRAP, he's huge!"... (thank goodness the intelligence filter kicked in before the first words could have been rude!). I honestly didn't believe that babies came out that big! All my my contact with newborns before this had been with small/average babies and my premature nephew. So with Garrett coming out at 9lb its no surprise i was caught off guard.


The pregnancy was a bit rough. I had issues with my heart and i got HUGE (that in itself should have been the indicator on his size!). But all in all, it wasn't too bad. I bonded really well with him while he was inside of me - too bad that wasn't the case after his birth.




This is Garrett at 3 weeks old. Admitted back to hospital, just 1 week after his due date with pneumonia, RSV and bronchitis. He was very sick, poor thing. On oxygen and being tube fed... Still managed to gain 500g that week, a sign of just how big he was going to become!



I think we are all taught to believe that pregnancy/birth/motherhood is always this glorious, joyous experience. Someone you'll never be frustrated with - a relationship always filled with love, and nothing but it.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love Garrett with all my heart. I just never knew someone you could love so much, could send you so far around the bend you turn into a pretzel. We are constantly bumping heads. And to top it off, he has his fathers temper! YAY!



Its just sad that i didn't really bond with him until Ande was born. Its strange to think that a new addition to the family could improve our relationship so much. Maybe children have a limited bonding amount in their first couple of years... And it doesn't divide equally between the parents.... *ponders...* Jason has always been Garrett's favourite. Even as a newborn he would only really want me for feeds (if Jason could have lactated i would have been obsolete... i just looked up the spelling and got this meaning - gosh it fits well!)

Obsolescence is the state of being which occurs when a person, object, or service is no longer wanted even though it may still be in good working order. Obsolescence frequently occurs because a replacement has become available that is superior in one or more aspects.



Slowly but surely, my eldest and I are starting to connect more. Although I have a feeling that this relationship imbalance will stay through out his life... He is defiantly Daddy's little man!


No comments: